After installing windows, you will find your Ubuntu wiped by windows! That means your ubuntu is not available at the Boot Screen also it is still in your hardisc.
- 1. Boot from a Live CD, use Ubuntu 8.04 or higher.
- 2. Open a Terminal.
- 3. Type ” sudo grub” in the terminal. It makes a GRUB prompt appear.
- 4. Type ” find /boot/grub/stage1“. You’ll get a response like “(hdx,y)“
- For example, “(hd0,3)“. Here x = 0, y = 3
- 5. Type “root (hdx,y)” note the space between root and (hd0,3).
- 6. Type “setup (hdx,y)“. This is key. You may also type “(hd0)“, and that’s fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as “(hd0,3)”.
- 7. Type “quit“.
That’s so simple!